Level 2 Award in Food Safety and Hygiene in Catering
This comprehensive one day course will provide participants with a strong basic knowledge of food hygiene.
It is suitable for those who already work within the catering industry as food handlers or those enter catering premises as part of their job role i.e. maintenance engineers, business owners and managers.
When will I start the course and how long will it take?
This one day course has multiple start dates throughout the year.
Separate dates can also be arranged for group training and to meet the requirements of employers.
This course takes place at St Helens College, Town Centre Campus, St Helens, WA10 1PP.
What will I study?
Students will receive a tour of St Helens College's award-winning kitchen to understand how food safety is implemented in the workplace in order to avoid food poisoning incidents.
During the course, the following areas will be covered:
- How successful work flow, use of work surfaces and equipment can reduce contamination risks and aid cleaning
- Risks to food safety caused by cross contamination and contamination of microbial, chemical, physical and allergenic hazards
- How to deal with recognition, reporting and disposal of food
- The correct practices and procedures for storing, preparing, cooking, chilling, reheating, holding serving and transporting food
- How to monitor temperatures when storing, preparing, cooking, chilling, reheating, holding, serving and transporting food
- The importance of effective personal hygiene practices in food safety and the reduction of cross contamination
- Cleaning, disinfection methods, safe use and storage of cleaning chemicals and materials, and waste disposal
How is it assessed?
Participants will take part in a multiple choice examination at the end of the course.
Do I need any previous qualifications to start this course?
There are no formal entry requirements.
What are the course fees?
The total cost of this course is £150.
What can I go on to do once I have completed this course?
Students can progress on to one of our Colours Cookery School courses, to further develop their culinary techniques or broaden their range of cooking styles.